Shreveport Aquarium is now open at 601 Clyde Fant Parkway in downtown Shreveport, and droves of visitors are experiencing it for the first time. If you’re planning a visit, here are a few of our favorite things about the new aquarium.
1. All of the touch tanks. Shreveport Aquarium is not a “hands off” experience. On my first visit, I touched rays, jellyfish, starfish and even got a “manicure” from the resident cleaner shrimp. The aquarium staff were super helpful in explaining how to interact with the touchable sea life, but parents and teachers also will need to help kids understand that these creatures – especially the jellyfish – are fragile.
2. The domed viewing areas inside of several exhibits. Some exhibits, including the exhibit that houses two grey reef sharks as well as an exhibit with two giant crabs, allow visitors to crawl through a tunnel and view the tank from a 360-degree underwater dome. That experience is every bit as cool as it sounds.
3. The designed environments. From a stunning hallway lined with giant aquarium tanks to an underwater cave, a ship wreck, an Oregon tide pool with crashing waves and a pond filled with playful rays, the designers of Shreveport Aquarium clearly put a great deal of thought into creating colorful, impactful environments. You never know what’s waiting around the next corner, making the place fun to explore.
4. The shark tunnel. About halfway through the aquarium experience, visitors emerge from a dimly lit cave into an underwater tunnel where they can look up and see schools of colorful fish and two grey reef sharks swimming above them. It’s a show-stopping moment that will wow visitors of any age.
5. The price. Admission passes to Shreveport Aquarium range from $8-$12, and individual season passes are $46. The season pass is good for one year and allows the pass-holder to bring a guest for each visit. Let’s say you’re crazy about the aquarium and you visit once a month, bringing a guest each time. That would average out to about $1.90 per person, per visit. They also offer discounts for active military, first responders, seniors, students, and AAA members. Purchase tickets or season passes on the Shreveport Aquarium website.
There’s more to explore at Shreveport Aquarium, but these were a few of our favorite parts of the experience.